Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Downsizing Diaries: The Why List

Lists: I like them.
They provide me with warm fuzzy feelings. Perhaps it is because of their neatness and simplicity. Like little bits of utilitarian poetry.
When I started ruminating on the "why" behind my ongoing simplification (downsizing collections of physical things, of course, but also simplification in all manner of areas), lists naturally started to form. Then, they quickly began to arrange themselves into distinct categories:
Fear, Dislike, Like, Value, Must
What started as a casual capture became a meaningful exercise. Initially, my thoughts remained largely within the context of downsizing and simplifying. However, I remained open to what emerged, and this approach could be utilized to understand one’s own "why" and roadmap in perhaps an infinite array of applications.
The list below is not my “final” version (after all, it's an ongoing process, and there’s no such thing as final). However, the initial results provided me with a foundation to which I can return and from which I can build and further shape my self-reflection as I continue to uncover what authentically resonates for me.

I fear...

I fear being or feeling trapped.
I fear being too attached to things.
I fear hoarding.
I fear leaving behind too much stuff for someone else to deal with when I’m gone.
I fear having to catalog or cope with someone else’s hoard of items due to loss, injury, or tragedy.
I fear losing the really important items under a pile of stuff.
I fear losing the plot because of a pile of stuff.
I fear losing who I love because of what I or they “love.”
I fear losing my authentic self.
I fear being too needed.
I fear being unwanted.
I fear losing my ability to be an independent, autonomous, capable person.

I dislike...

I dislike too much clutter.
I dislike piles in corners or along walls.
I dislike feeling as though I’m forgetting something.
I dislike the feeling of unknown or lost items lurking in a corner of my house.
I dislike being unable to find the thing I need under a pile of stuff I’m not even sure I want.
I dislike feeling overwhelmed by largely inconsequential options.
I dislike spending much of my valuable time caring for physical things outside of myself.
I dislike dusting.
I dislike folding.
I dislike having containers spill out of an overpacked cabinet.
I dislike feeling as though too many things teeter on the edge of a surface.
I dislike every surface being covered up in piles of stuff. Even if they are small piles.
I dislike feeling obligated to hold onto something just because someone else gave it to me.
I dislike my home being the safety deposit box for someone else’s items.
I dislike excess.
I dislike ill fitting clothes or ill fitting environments.
I dislike pressure to accept things or situations simply because of good intentions or potential for hurt feelings.

I like...

I like being prepared.
I like being able to provide comfort to a guest in my home.
I like being able to help people.
I like creating a relaxing sanctuary.
I like purple.
I like super soft and snuggly textures.
I like playful light during the day and a dark cave at night.
I like feeling strong.
I like feeling rested.
I like laughter.
I like cuddles.
I like nourishing and flavorful food.
I like feeding people.
I like nature.
I like room to be creative.
I like movement.
I like reading.
I like learning.
I like growing.

I value…

I value curiosity.
I value courage.
I value compassion.
I value love.
I value independence.
I value authenticity.
I value honesty.
I value freedom.
I value education, learning, and knowledge.
I value growth.
I value silliness and humor.
I value good communication.
I value transparency.
I value integrity.
I value empathy.

I must…

I must remove obstacles to my authenticity.
I must encourage healthful habits.
I must cultivate creativity.
I must foster connection.
I must remain open to possibilities, perspectives, and feedback.
I must prepare for the worst reality and hope for the best.
I must invite knowledge, understanding, and growth.
I must give generously.
I must speak up.
I must take action.
I must be about it.
I must preserve my passion.
I must be willing to let go.
I must love.

No comments:

Post a Comment